Friday, November 18, 2011

Thanksgiving Dinner!

Thanksgiving is around the corner and I'm already hungry. This year my family decided to raise our own turkeys. In March we went to the local Cal-Ranch and picked out two poults, (baby turkeys). Then we spend the next few months feeding, feeding, and feeding. After all that feeding we spent the rest of the months cleaning up after them. Turkeys are stinky!

Much to my dismay they decided to make their home on my back deck. Yuck! Now I have to power wash and re-stain it. You would think I would be against raising turkeys next year, but nope I plan on doing it again. I will just do it a little differently.

This is a picture of our tom. He ended up weighing 48lbs before processing and 45lbs after. We also had a hen that weighed 35lbs before and 32lbs after. Can't wait to eat them! The tom is too big to cook so we sent him out to be smoked, but the hen will be Thanksgiving dinner.



No comments: