Friday, January 18, 2013

Friday Funny!

I don't know if you know this, but before I moved to Missouri we had a small farm in our backyard in Utah. We had turkeys, rabbits, ducks, and chickens. It all started with the chickens though. My brother and his wife raised backyard chickens and I thought it would be a fun thing to try. So my husband and I built a chicken coop, bought four chickens (one for each of our children at the time) and away we went.

For the first six months my kids had a great time caring for the chickens, watching the chickens, chasing the chickens...you get the idea. It was good fun, but then the chickens started laying eggs. This was when the real fun began. For about a month only one of our chickens laid eggs. She would lay one very small egg every few days at first, but laid more regularly a few weeks after that. My kids would rush out and fight over who got to check for egg. Their fights got pretty heated at moments so we were grateful when all the hens started laying. It honestly was one of the highlights of the day to go check for eggs. It never got old for us.

I am sure all of you are wondering why I am going on and on about this. Well, besides the fact that I love being able to reminisce about my beloved backyard farm I wanted to explain to you why this Friday Funny is funny to me. As I watched this video I realized I wasn't the only one out there who was obsessed about my chickens eggs. How big they were or small, any irregularity was fascinating to me. I would take pictures and send them to my sister in law to compare the eggs we got to the one their hens were laying. (Yes, I know I entertain easily.)

This video made me smile because it bought back so many wonderful memories and I needed to smile after what happened yesterday. (I will cover what happened yesterday once the pain and horror isn't so fresh in my mind...all I can say is it changed my life.)  Okay, it didn't change my life, but it ruined my day and it still makes me sad to think about.

Anyway, pay close attention to the little girl's voice in the background she's funny.

http://www.vidaddict.com/biggest-chicken-egg-in-the-world/

Have a great weekend!


No comments: