Thursday, August 11, 2011

Yep, Everytime

Anytime I take a break from writing and then come back I worry that I won't be able to write. It's seems silly once I get going, but there really is a true sense of panic at first. I am almost finished with the prologue for book two and the whole time I was writing it I expected to forget how to write.

Well, I didn't forget and we are well on our way. I am feeling it again. The feeling I get when I'm ready to start writing again. I start thinking about my characters and they become alive to me. I love the little world I've created and most of the time I wish I could escape into it for at least three to four hours a day. The only thing slowing me down is the sweet little bit of Honey we are taking care of. She will be four weeks on Monday and my family is still enjoying every minute with her.

The first week we had her I didn't get more than two hours of consecutive sleep. The second week we had her I think it got worse and I got less than two hours of consecutive sleep. This last week has gotten a little better, but not much.

You would think I would be a bit bitter toward her for stealing my sleep, but I'm not. I love every minute I get to spend with her. It's funny when you don't know how long you'll be able to enjoy something how much more you cherish it. She truly is a wonder in my life.

Unfortunately, that wonder is also slowing the writing process down. I'm afraid to get to into the book to much because with my lack of sleep only half my brain is working and it's not the part I use to write with. I'm so glad I have the rough draft for book two already written or I may never get it done.

The good news is I'm already a head of schedule because I didn't intend to start writing until my kids were back in school. I still have one week left with them at home, but when my characters start calling me back I tend to follow the voices.  

I know that sounds a little weird, but like E.L. Doctorow said, "Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia."


1 comment:

Jess said...

very insightful about Honey and valuing every moment when you don't know how many moments are left. Kind of like they say you live your life diff if you know you are dying. too bad it takes an extreme instance for us to truly value and relish the wonder and beauty of the people and experiences we have in our lives.